Cantigny Catapult Contest
Saturday, October 27, 10am
Catapults have a long history in warfare. We want you to build a working version of these war machines. The challenge is to build a catapult which is designed to throw a baseball as far as possible. Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place distances. Most importantly, contestants get the chance to build a catapult, compete, and possibly earn eternal glory! This project is fun, exciting, and as easy or intricate as you want to make it.
- This contest is open to all catapult enthusiasts; no matter your age!
- Teams are allowed (and encouraged). No more than 4 people per team please.
- Teams will be put in the Youth Division or the Adult and Family Division.
- All participants must register in advance by filling out this registration form.
- No ready-made kits. Each catapult must be designed, constructed, and launched by contestants.
- No part of the catapult can extend over
6 feet high. This includes the sling on a
The example in this picture will be allowed. When catapults are checked before the competition, we will have the judge extend the CLOSED sling to its full height. That will still need to be below 6 feet.
- All catapults will be launched on a grass field. They must sit on the ground. No tables.
- The catapult cannot be staked into the ground.
- All catapults will fling baseballs provided by the First Division Museum at Cantigny Park.
- Your catapult must have a triggering mechanism which will allow you to stand 2 feet away.
- No explosions or air pressure may be used to assist the performance of your catapult. In other words, the energy used to power your catapult must be provided by the device itself.
- Surgical tubing and bungee cords cannot be used.
- Any type of hurling machine is acceptable: Ballista, Trebuchet, Mangonel, etc.
Each group will be allowed 5 minutes to complete three launches. Teams will not be allowed to go over 5 minutes. The best launch will be used as your score. The longest launch wins. Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place distances.
Sign Up Now
If you'd like to register for the contest, click here to download the entry form.
Print the above form, then fill out the paper copy. You can then mail, email, or fax the form. If mailing, please send your completed registration form to Melissa Tyer at 1s151 Winfield Road, Wheaton, IL 60189. Send your email to MTyer@FirstDivisionMuseum.org, or, if you choose to fax, the fax number to dial is 630.260.9298. If you have any questions, please feel free to call 630.260.8274. Please send in your registration form by Friday, October 19 if you are planning to enter the contest.
Our Catapult Contest Video Blog
Do you need ideas or tips on getting started? Check out our Catapult Contest Video Blog. We will post our progress as we work on our own catapult. The entire series so far is embedded below. To skip ahead to a later video, click "Playlist" in the bottom bar.